Location: Plaza de San Bartolomé, in the center of Logroño.
The church of San Bartolome is, together with Santa María de Palacio, the oldest and most venerable temple in Logrono. No accurate documentation about its origin is preserved, but it dates from the late twelfth and the early thirteenth centuries and has some Romanesque remains.
Outside, the most prominent feature is the portal, probably the most important of Gothic style in La Rioja, although it is quite worn. It was built between the thirteenth century and the fourteenth, using some earlier Romanesque statues, and includes a beautiful sculpture set that represents various episodes of the Bible and the life of St. Bartholomew. This saint, according to tradition, died skinned alive in Abanopolis (current Armenia) by order of King Astyages.
The upper sections of the tower, built of brick, are of Mudejar style and date from the sixteenth century, while the rest of the building is constructed in ashlar masonry.
Inside the temple, with ribbed vaults from the thirteenth century, it’s worth highlighting some richly carved Gothic tombs.
Throughout the centuries the Church of St. Bartholomew has been particularly affected by historical circumstances, and in the mid-nineteenth century was about to be demolished so that a theater could be built using its masonry. Today it is still located in a somewhat degraded environment, in which it is possible to find, however, some decadent beauty.
The church was declared a national monument in 1866.